UGG boots are made using sheepskin and wool. These fabrics are lovely when they’re clean, but will wind up looking very shabby once they get dirty. And they will get dirty. The good news is that you can take preventive measures to maintain the cleanliness of your UGGs! And you can keep them clean without that expensive UGG cleaner.
By showing them a bit of tender, love, and care, you’ll be able to keep your UGGS clean for a long time.
How to clean your UGGS (generic)
Are your UGGS in good shape? Then start here. A little preventative cleaning will go a long way!
- Using a suede brush, dust off the entire boot. This is to soften the nap and loosen the dirt. If there is no nap, do not brush.
- Moisten the exterior of boot with clean water using soft cotton or sponge or cotton.
- Rinse the sponge, but do not squeeze out all the water. Keep it about 20% wet. Apply 1:1 water-vinegar mixture onto the sponge.
- Work the mixture all over the boot’s exterior from top to bottom. Repeat Step #3 if the sponge becomes dirty.
- Clean the sponge and wipe the exterior of the shoe to remove the mixture.
- Stuff your boots with paper so that it does not lose its shape when it dries. It takes about 24 to 48 hours for the UGGs to become dry. Do not dry the UGGs in the sun.
- Brush using a suede brush so as to even out the nap.
Have some tougher stains? Follow these steps:
How to clean oil and grease stains from UGGS without UGG cleaner
- Gently color the stain using a white chalk piece and leave it overnight so that oil and grease gets absorbed. You can use a little bit of cornstarch if you don’t have chalk.
- In the morning, remove the chalk powder using a clean paint brush.
How to clean salt stains from UGGS without UGG cleaner
- Salt stains can be removed by brushing the UGGs in the top to bottom direction using a suede brush.
- If the stain is shiny or matted, use an eraser to rub it gently out.
How to clean water spots from UGGS without UGG cleaner
- Water spots can be removed by rubbing the stained area against another part of the suede.
- Get the water off asap. If the UGGS haven’t been pre-treated then it will cause some issue getting that water stain out.
And a video of how to clean UGGS, live action!